WIND•EYE Handmade Paper – The Sherwood Press’s papermaking studio – is accepting applications for summer internships. Interns will work two three-hour shifts every two weeks making paper for our products in exchange for instruction and studio time on alternate weeks for group experiments and personal projects. Interns will work in groups of 2-3 and perform all the tasks required to make paper and maintain the studio. The internships may extend into the letterpress studio for some projects, and include simple typesetting, printing and pamphlet binding. Prior papermaking experience is not required but we will give extra consideration to those with a demonstrated interest in the handcrafts, paper and printing.
Making paper requires:
- Preparing dry materials (cutting, tearing, soaking)
- Beating various fibers in our 1 lb. valley beater
- Pulling sheets with a mould and deckle
- Couching sheets onto felts
- Pressing wet paper “posts” in a hydraulic press
- Transferring wet sheets to a paper dryer
- Cleaning the beater, cleaning buckets, cleaning felts
- Hanging felts to dry
- Unpacking the paper dryer
- Assessing and sorting dried sheets
- Folding and assembling handmade envelopes
- Emptying vats, straining pulps, more cleaning
If you are interested, please send us a letter telling us about you, your experience with handcrafts, your interest in paper, and detailing your summer availability to email@example.com.
We will be setting up tours and interviews with select candidates.
Deadline for applications is June 5th.